This procedure is currently under review - June 2019
In 2018 in response to parent and community concern about the food students were being given at school Procedures for Healthy Food Choices at School (PDF 3.88 MB) was developed. This document guides our community on appropriate food choices for school activities. PSSS recognises that good nutrition contributes to good health and wellbeing which is vital for positive engagement in learning and development activities.
The school environment provides an opportunity to support healthy lifestyles and a learning environment which includes experiencing and talking about the production and preparation of food for nutrition and wellbeing.
The document covers the Tuckshop, the curriculum, food safety, the learning environment, working with families, managing anaphylaxis and food allergies, and special occasions and celebrations.
Our school highly values the recognition and celebration of special occasions within the classroom, for example days of cultural significance, birthdays, end of year class parties, winning competitions, activities related to P&C fund raising.
• PSSS encourages teachers/parents/carers to provide healthy options for celebrating birthdays or other special events and in the provision of food class parties
• Drinks categorised as red in the DET Healthy Food and Drink Supply Strategy are not to be provided by teachers/parents/carers
• Students are discouraged from purchasing food on excursions or at swimming carnivals and other off-site events
• Parents and parent volunteers on excursions are not permitted to purchase food for their own children nor for other children in attendance
• Teachers will advise parents/carers at the start of each year (via newsletter or class information afternoons) that an alternative food for celebrations can be stored at school if they do not want their child to participate in a celebration where food has been provided by other parents
Examples of green and amber foods for special occasions: